Alberta Health Services
Central Alberta Cancer Centre
Address (Map): 3942 50 A Avenue, Red Deer, Alberta T4N4E7 Canada
Sector: Health Facilities
Delivery Type: Design-Bid-Build
MCW Office: Calgary
Sub Categories: Medical Centres
The 3810 m2, $65 million expansion at Red Deer Regional Hospital is comprised of a two level addition which included three new Radiation Treatment Vaults and accompanying support space, a CT scanner, laboratories and mechanical and electrical rooms on the Lower Level in addition to a Medical Day Care and Outpatient Clinic on the Upper Level. This project included complete electrical design, testing and commissioning of the vault safety systems and the addition of a new 1 MW emergency power generator with paralleling capability with existing generators. The basis of the electrical design criteria will included:
- Compliance with existing building standards.
- Reliability and continuity of the electrical systems.
- Flexibility and simplicity of operation.
- Standardization of equipment.
- Maintenance of systems with negligible downtime.
- Capacity for future modifications and extensions.
- Provisions for energy conservation.
MCW Hemisphere designed the following electrical systems for the facility:
- A new 800kW generator was designed to offset existing load and thereby free up capacity within the existing emergency power.
- Lighting consists primarily of fluorescent direct and indirect luminaries. Focusing on user comfort, decorative incandescent accent lighting was introdued in patient waiting rooms, lounge areas and selected areas within the corridors for art work lighting.
- The data/telephone system architecture is a structured wiring system consisting of an enhanced fibre vertical distribution and a fully replaced and upgraded horizontal distribution. New racks and patch facilities were provided on the vertical risers to be upgraded with fibre and Category 6 UTP copper to suit the projected growth requirements. Provisions for future IP phones was included in the new vertical and horizontal network infrastructure.
LEED® Silver Certified