Fire Protection Designer
MCW Group is a leader in the delivery of professional consulting engineering, energy management, and engineering development services across Canada. With over five decades of industry-leading engineering expertise, our goal as a firm is to permanently reduce our clients’ environmental footprint through sustainable, cost-effective design solutions. This commitment has resulted in the creation of the largest block of verified carbon emissions savings of any Canadian consulting firm – something we are incredibly proud of!
For more information on MCW, please visit our website at www.mcw.com.
- The opportunity to work on significant, innovative, and sustainable projects
- Career development opportunities, including mentorship and training
- Collaboration with team members across Canada
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits
- RRSP matching
- Professional fees covered
- Hybrid work environment
- Summer Super Long Weekends
MCW Consultants Ltd. is currently seeking a self-motivated, hardworking Fire Protection Designer to join our Vancouver, BC office. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking to gain valuable hands-on work experience in a dynamic, team-based working environment, as well as grow and develop their professional career within the consulting industry.
What we’re looking for:
- Assist with the preparation of drawings and schematics.
- Coordinate with other consulting disciplines to ensure drawing integrity and completeness.
- Work with project team and Project Manager to ensure on-time project completion.
- Escalate resource issues to the appropriate Project Manager.
- Review architectural and structural drawings.
- Perform system hydraulic calculations.
- Arrange sprinklers on the drawings in accordance with current NFPA standards.
- Verify drawings in accordance with established procedures.
- Work with contractors and respond to technical inquiries.
- Provide technical and administrative support through all phases of the project.
- Help establish and promote client relationships.
- Strive to ensure quality and timely delivery of finished products to clients.
- Overtime as required.
Qualifications, Experience and Education:
- Completion of post-secondary education in a related field such as Mechanical Engineering, FireProtection Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology or Building Systems Technology.
- Working towards obtaining Applied Science Technologist & Technicians designation or Professional Engineers designation in British Columbia.
- 3-7 years of relevant work experience in the design of building fire protection systems.
- Background developing construction documents using AutoCAD and/or Revit.
- Familiar with bid and tendering process.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office tools including Excel, Word, Project and PowerPoint.
- Experience working with customers and client base.
- Experience working in a team based environment.
- Experience in site investigations and construction review is considered an asset.
- Experience in the design of water based sprinkler protection systems.
- Previous experience with laying out and hydraulically sizing the fire protection system using commercially available software (ie. Tyco FOT and Elite Sprinkler).
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines/successful completion of deliverables.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization, including executives.
- Able to communicate ideas and recommendations to non-engineer team members in a clear manner.
- Knowledge of Canadian Engineering standards.
- Advanced working knowledge of the provincial building code and NFPA standards.
- High level of sound and independent judgment and reasoning.
- Excellent time management skills and project management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Analytical, thorough, resourceful and detail-oriented.
- Team and customer service-focused.
- Self-motivated, hardworking, flexible.
Job Specific Competencies:
Analytical Thinking – Analyzing and synthesizing information to understand issues
Client Focus – Providing service excellence with added value to internal and/or external clients
Continuous Learning – Identifying and addressing learning and developmental needs to enhance own performance
Creativity and Innovation – Modifies current approaches to generating viable, new approaches and solutions
Initiative – Addresses current issues by dealing with situations proactively and persistently, seizing opportunities that arise
Interactive Communication – Listening to others and communicating articulately, fostering two-way open communication
Legislative, Policies, Procedures & Standards – Understanding and using relevant legislation, policies, procedures and/or standards in performing one’s work
Results Management – Supervises work/projects by organizing time, work and resources to accomplish in the most effective and efficient way
Self Confidence – Demonstrating realistic trust in own abilities and confidence when challenged
Teamwork – Working collaboratively with others to achieve organizational goals
Interested applicants please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Fire Protection Designer – Vancouver” in the subject line. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MCW Group of Companies celebrates diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage all applicants regardless of sexual identity, gender, religion, ethnicity, disability, age, and race.
Submit Your Resume
MCW offers competitive salaries, performance bonuses, health, dental, life benefit plans and other benefits. We appreciate the opportunity to review your resume and your interest in MCW. We maintain a copy of your resume on file for a period of six months in the event a suitable opportunity should arise. Please continue to check back on MCW's Career Page for upcoming and exciting job opportunities.
*denotes required field
Thank you for submitting your resume.