Field Technician, Power
JOB TITLE Field Technician, Power
Since 1964 the MCW Group has built a solid reputation for the delivery of Professional Consulting Engineering Services, Energy Management Services, and Engineering Development Services. The systems designed by the MCW Group of Companies are built to deliver energy effectively in the form of lighting, heating and cooling, as well as information in the form of voice and data. By the very nature of the solutions provided, the MCW Group of Companies help to create the environments required for Clients to live, educate, work, play and heal.
We have created for our clients the largest block of verified carbon emissions savings of any Canadian consulting firm. For more than two decades MCW Consultants Ltd., and its sister company, MCW Custom Energy Solutions Ltd. have been providing sustainable building designs with the goal to permanently reduce our clients' environmental footprint and create sustainable communities.
For further information, please check out our website: www.mcw.com.
Our Company is currently seeking self-motivated, hardworking Field Technician, Power to join our Vancouver office. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking to apply his or her knowledge and help MCW grow this business, and deliver a quality product to our clients.
Position: Field Technician, Power
Location: Vancouver, BC
- As part of the design team, be the primary contact for all field related activities including field inspections, site visits, meetings with land owners, BC Hydro power line technicians, and other stakeholders. Perform field visits and site surveys in accordance with project best practices, business design requirements, and specifications provided by MCW’s clients. Stake sites as needed to meet design objectives.
- Prepare layouts, conceptual designs, calculations, illustrations for electrical distribution projects including overhead and underground. Work includes overhead and underground structure design, electrical and structural/dimensional calculations, field work, drawings, material lists and work instructions.
- Mentor, train and develop junior team members in the process of collecting field data
- Prepare travel logistics and estimates for site visits in the Province of British Columbia. The incumbent is expected to undertake this travel and is expected to be working remotely for a good portion of the time.
- Arrange for topographical surveys using an approved contractor, matching scope of work to the project needs in consultation with the lead designer, review of submitted deliverables from contractor to ensure it conforms to scope of work, BC Hydro standards, and is sufficient for the requirements of the project.
- Assist designers and engineers in the preferred design approach based on physical site conditions.
- Provide direction and feedback to Drafters and Design Assistants as required to complete a design
- Willing to assist in a variety of project support activities including project coordination, budgeting, strategic planning, client support, and business analysis supporting the business development and project management activities.
- Support documentation process for projects including technical specifications, tender documents, estimates, technical reports and project calculations
- Interface with other design disciplines, coordinate with related stakeholders, and assist team leads and managers
Qualifications & Experience:
- Certificate or Diploma from a recognized institution in a surveyor technology program preferred
- CAD Certificate or Diploma from a recognized institution an asset
- Experience in drafting in an electric utility or related engineering field an asset
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD an asset
- Experience in conducting field surveys preferred
- High School Graduation with at least one year completed in a related technical field (Electrical or Civil Technology). Demonstrated capabilities to travel, and perform the site related duties as required.
- Experience in conducting field surveys preferred
- Valid Drivers License required.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated abilities in
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Solid organizational and time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, high volume, deadline-driven environment
- A good understanding of civil utility design, electrical design and power systems
- Familiar with local standards and building codes
In order to be successful in this position, the incumbent will be expected to possess the following competencies:
Achievement Orientation – Focusing efforts on achieving high quality results to help others meet and exceed the organization’s standards
Attention to Detail – Working in a conscientious, consistent and thorough manner in order to recognize less obvious information
Interested applicants please send your application to email@example.com indicating the position title in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MCW Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit Your Resume
MCW offers competitive salaries, performance bonuses, health, dental, life benefit plans and other benefits. We appreciate the opportunity to review your resume and your interest in MCW. We maintain a copy of your resume on file for a period of six months in the event a suitable opportunity should arise. Please continue to check back on MCW's Career Page for upcoming and exciting job opportunities.
*denotes required field
Thank you for submitting your resume.